Copy to clipboard
Introduction to Interconnect¶
A part of Platform Equinix, your Equinix Metal™ infrastructure can connect with other parties, such as public cloud providers, network service providers, or your own colocation cages in Equinix.
Equinix Metal utilizes Equinix Fabric and Cross-Connect (dark-fiber) to enable the connections between Metal and other parties. All connections and traffic flowing in and out of Equinix Fabric does so through a physical port. A port is a physical place where interconnection occurs between two parties. The cables from each party are physically plugged together so that data can pass. Equinix Metal supports two types of ports, Shared and Dedicated.
- Shared Ports are used in a multi-tenant way, where Equinix Metal is the owner and manager of the physical Equinix Fabric port that handles the traffic.
- Dedicated Ports are dedicated to a single user or service, where you are the owner and manager of the physical Equinix Fabric port that handles the traffic.
Both Shared and Dedicated ports require ordering ports and configuring them in both Equinix Metal and Equinix Fabric or Cross-Connect. For more on Equinix Metal ports, see the Shared Ports or Dedicated Ports pages. Equinix provides documentation on Equinix Fabric and Cross-Connect.
In addition, your use-case may require the use of a Network Edge or Virtual Device. Network Edge is an open source x86-based infrastructure platform that allows users to select, configure, and activate virtual network devices and services in near real time. Network Edge includes access to a marketplace of available device types and vendors.
Equinix Interconnect is intended to address some common use-cases, like:
- Connecting Equinix Metal to a public cloud provider.
- Connecting Equinix Metal to your Equinix IBX co-location infrastructure.
- Connecting Equinix Metal to a 3rd-party networking service provider which is a destination in Fabric.
In order to make the process of deciding which features you need to order and configure easier, we have Choosing Your Interconnection Model, which contains a use-case reference and an overview of the common use-cases.
In order to use Equinix Fabric, you will need an Equinix Fabric account separate from your Equinix Metal account. The Equinix Fabric portal is where you order and manage the Equinix Fabric resources that connect to Equinix Metal.
Connections are available in all Equinix Metal Metros. When you go to request a new connection, you will select the Metro where you would like your port to live. It should be the same Metro as the servers and the VLANs that you will use to connect to it.
- Equinix Metal does not charge for Shared or Dedicated Ports.
- Charges for Equinix Fabric ports and Network Edge devices are billed to your Equinix Fabric account, separate from your Equinix Metal bill.
- Similarly, Cross-Connect charges are handled through Equinix and the Equinix Customer Portal.